Best practices for marketing your release(s)
Have a clear idea of when you will have your mastered audio and track or album art in hand before selecting a release date. Oftentimes things come up in the production process, so you’ll want to give yourself ample time to set up your release. We highly recommend staying on cycle and releasing only on Fridays. This will increase the likelihood of playlist placement.
While we recommend staying on cycle and releasing on Fridays, we understand that you may have a strong, marketing-driven reason to release off-cycle (premiere partner, event anniversary, promised social support, etc.). Weigh the value of the driver and consider if it is likely to increase your chances of placement.
The required lead time is no less than 4 weeks before your release date; 6 weeks is ideal for delivery of release and marketing drivers. This timeframe gives your distributor time to ingest and approve releases, DSPs time to receive them, and playlist editors time to receive pitches and marinate with a release before deciding whether or not to feature or place it on playlists.
This is a suggested timeline with loose action items to help maximize your release.
6 weeks before the release date
- Submit the release in the Dashboard.
- If your deal with us includes Marketing, you can submit for “DSP Features & Playlist Pitching” via the Dashboard under the Marketing sub-menu. Marketing offerings are available for clients where pricing is % based.
- Secure a venue for a listening event or release show and promote.
4 weeks before the release date
- Re-skin all digital surfaces to match the imagery and title of your release. (including sharing the pre-save/pre-sale link in bios, posts, and CRM.)
- Pitch your release on Spotify For Artists platform to promote algorithmic playlist potential
3 weeks before the release date
- Secure media partner to premiere release
- Enlist influencers, friends, family, fans, and colleagues to share.
- Update the marketing drivers form with any new ‘spotlights’ that you have lined up
2 weeks before the release date
- Initiate pre-save/pre-sale campaign.
- Continue sharing
Week of release
- Premiere the release on your media partner’s site or radio station, Youtube channel, etc.
- Throw your listening party/release show.
- Share across ALL socials + CRM – don’t be shy about CTA fans to stream/download.
- Share any DSP pickup and other support. Be sure to tag and thank anyone who has supported/featured the release.
- Repost fan shares.
- Repeat everything from the release date.
- Run CTA/UGC campaigns with an incentive for fans.